Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

"Some" Pig

Tuesday, October 20, 2009
Well not just "some" pig, it is actually 173 lbs worth of pig. Myself and another friend split a pig...my friend's dad raises pigs and cows. The pig was about 400 lbs total. Last year this time we got 1/3 of a 1/2 of a cow. The meat was so fresh and tender. Sean LOVED the steaks...he fixed them every weekend until they were gone. So this time we got a pig and are due to get more "cow" in January.
Sean picked our piggy meat up from the butcher on Saturday and this is the way it came packaged.

I had cleared one shelf in the stand up freezer we have in the basement. Well it definitely took more than one shelf. Look at the picture....everything that is wrapped in the white freezer paper is our pig.

Needless to say we will be eating a lot of pork in the near future. Seems like alot but it was definitely CHEAPER than buying pork in the grocery store. I figured it cost $1.90 per pound. That is a deal, can't buy any kind of pork product for that price. Here is a sample of what we got:
1 large ham
13 ham slices
26 pork chops
12 lbs of sausage
13 lbs of bacon - this makes me and Abby very happy
1 rack of baby back ribs that is as long as my freezer is deep
3 pkgs of ribs
lots of hock....found out that is for soup...guess I'll be making some soup
several roasts, loins and shoulders...at this point not really sure what is different about them
6 lbs of scrapple...going to divide that up among friends
2 lbs of liver pudding....for my father

So on Sunday Sean made beer braised pork, minus the beer (beef broth instead) along with sweat potatoes. It was delicious...the meat just fell apart and melted in your mouth.
On Monday we had pork won tons...yet again thanks to Sean and they were very yummy. Sean even made homemade won tons.
On Monday Abby and I went to the Farm with school and I saw these little fellows...made me think twice about eating the pork!!!!!













And this BIG fellow weighs almost 500lbs and is only 1 year old.

I'll keep you posted on your pork eating adventures.

0 comments to "Some" Pig:

Post a Comment